Monday, May 25, 2015

Sex symbol or patriotic gesture?


I'm an American ...
I love clothes ...
I love my American Flag ...
I'm torn …

On this Memorial Day I feel distressed that many Americans say "Happy Memorial Day" and wear suggestive/spandex dresses, short-shorts and tube tops as a way to show patriotism. I'm sure they mean well but first of all there is nothing "happy" about a day that is meant to remember the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans who died in war for my freedoms. Its a very somber day which deserves reverence and reflection. Secondly, I just don't feel (my opinion) that  posing in a suggestive manner in a dress clearly designed to look like the American Flag is the best way to show you are patriotic. However, I think wearing the American Flag in its entirety on a T-shirt does show patriotism. Do you see my dilemma? Where do we draw the line?

Why this double standard? Well, it all has to do with perspective really. Does the American Flag on your body represent a sex symbol or a patriotic gesture? Is sex a patriotic gesture, is that what the American Flag represents? Of course, this blog is about giving everyone their right to express themselves but in my humble opinion, elegant women don't use patriot symbols that military men and women died to protect as a way to show cleavage or backsides. Wearing red and white stripes with blue and white stars in one thing, its a "concept." But wearing what is designed to look like a dress made out of an American Flag?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment