Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I'm not dying for beauty ...


I don't wear much make up but when I do, I don't want to wear something that will cause me to have cancer later on in life. So, I've started checking out all my skin care and make up items at the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database almost religiously (www.ewg.org/skindeep).

Needless to say I have thrown away about $300 worth of facial cleansers, moisturizers, lotions, toners, make up, hair care, sunscreen and other skin related items. I simply was uneducated on what exactly is in the products I slather on my skin and hair.

I'm all for the phrase "beauty hurts" when wearing shoes that are too tight for a little while or a dress that is a bit snug for an hour or two. But I draw the line at "beauty kills" (whether that be killing me or killing animals some companies test on)!

So, in my quest to be beautiful while also being a responsible and compassionate human being on planet Earth, I have found just a handful of safe products to refill my beauty and toiletries shelves.

Skin cleanser
Threw out: L'Occitane Foaming Facial Cleanser
Restocked with: MyChelle Fruit Enzyme Cleanser

Lotion
Threw out: Jergens Daily Moisture Dry Skin
Restocked with: Alaffia Everyday Shea Butter Lotion

Mascara
Threw out: Covergirl Lash Exact  Mascara
Restocked with: Jane Iredale Longest Lash Thick Mascara 

Lipstick
Threw Out: LancĂ´me Rouge Absolu

Shampoo
Threw out: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo

Powder (facial)
Threw out: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Powder 

Bottom line: I will endeavor to stick to only products tested by the EWG's Skin Deep team and that has a rating of 4 or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment