Sunday, April 12, 2015

The lady's handbag ...

Margaret Thatcher, former prime minster of Great Britain once said (paraphrased), "Being a leader is like being a lady, if you have to tell people you are one, you aren't". The ideal symbol of a lady? Her handbag. I don't mean the price tag on the bag but moreover what's in it. A non-lady will show anyone what's in her handbag, she will empty its contents in public and not think a thing about it. But a lady is discrete, she is secretive about her handbag's contents.

Yes, a lady's handbag is a sacred place. For example, no one knows what is in the Queen of England's handbag and my mother would have tanned my hide had I gone into her handbag without asking first. When a lady decides to allow you into that sacred place -- her handbag (if you thought differently, get your mind out of the gutter), you should take heed and feel privileged! So what is in my handbag (along with my phone, lip balm, identification card, hand lotion, comb and money)? Just this once, I will give you a peek:

Gum and/or mints: I especially like Choward's violet gum and Les Anis de Flavigny mints (from France).
A collapsible bag: You never know when you might want to go shopping and carrying your own environmentally friendly reusable bag is handy.
A powder compact with mirror: I don't carry a full arsenal of make-up with me because it's tacky to "fix your face" in public. A lady applies make up at home or (if needed) at the office, in the ladies room. But a lady should always have a compact with a mirror and possibly a tube of lipstick at all times.
Reading glasses (if needed): Because I usually opt for a neutral colored handbag (black, tan, white), it is difficult to find things easily if they are not various colors so my reading glasses case is bright polka dots.
A business card holder with calling cards: Business cards are such a wonderful thing. They stemmed from the time when a person would go visiting friends and neighbors and would leave a "calling card" if the person they were visiting were not home or able to meet with them. If you have a business, you should be carrying business cards (in a business card holder so they do not get dirty or bent) in your handbag at all times.
Tissues: Because you never know if you might run out of toilet paper in the public restroom or get a nose bleed, these little packets are essential in a lady's handbag!
Pearly wipes: These are not necessarily mandatory but they are my little luxury. I am an avid coffee drinker and have been known to meet up with other women for "LNO (Ladies Night Out)" for a cocktail. These little gems are fantastic for ensuring you wipe the red wine or coffee from your teeth and mouth before they stain the enamel or your lips.
Miscellaneous: A few things that are sometimes in my handbag but not always and not pictured here are bobby pins, nail file, umbrella and safety pins.

There, I've let the secret out of the lady's handbag. I wonder if the Queen carries the same luxuries and necessities as I do? Like the Tootsie Pop commercial always said, "The world may never know."



No comments:

Post a Comment